Tuesday, November 10, 2009

fabrics and windows

In the past, I lived in a house overlooking a lake with a beautiful view of the water and the evening sunsets. The windows throughout the house were covered with gorgeous white plantation shutters. I no longer live there, and when I moved I wanted a change. One of the changes I made was in window coverings. In an area where blinds were the custom, I decided to break convention and use fabric draperies in many of my rooms. I have the option of changing draperies, and the entire ambiance of the room, easily. This fall I am adding a custom made dupioni silk valance to my kitchen window. This dupioni silk is a medium-weight, crisp and shimmery fabric, with slubs that form an uneven finish. I love the combination of the roughness of the fabric and the shimmer.